Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Lord of the Rings

First of all, I have a confession to make. The first time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring movie in the theatre I fell asleep and took a peaceful nap most of the movie until the Orgs burst onto the scene. Apparently, no one told them about "6-inch voices"! Before you lose total respect for me and think I'm totally lame, let me explain... For starters, I had a cold and was really tired. Second and final point, I was a 16-year old high school girl who had an extremely hard time distinguishing the good guys from the bad guys, because everybody had long hair and strange shaped ears. Ok, end of story and subsequent rabbit trail. Also, now that I understand the story line they are some of my favorite movies and I eagerly await The Hobbit's debut next year! Moving along...

"I wonder what sort of tale we've fallen into?" 
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Being a Christian is about as boring as being Frodo or Sam in the Lord of the Rings... I say this completely out of love, but anyone that is under the impression that living as a follower of Jesus is boring, is quite misguided. Every mistake in life has a price attached and being ignorant of your purpose or the fact that you have one is too expensive a mistake to make. Read on.....Believe me, if you are doing life the right way, you will be in for an epic journey! 

Can I just say from my heart, as if I were sitting across from you and we both had coffee mugs in hand, you were lovingly thought of by a god in heaven that had a purpose in mind for you from the very beginning? 

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you."
Psalm 139:13-18

I don't care if that's the first time or the 200th time you've read it, read it again and again if you need to to let the words sink in! 
I have really begun to understand my life in this framework of an epic story, because I understand what it's like to be the main character in the middle of the story where you think the end has just taken place, having a hard time realizing that it's far from over.

One of my older brothers loves the writings of Frederick Buechner and in his work Telling the Truth, Buechner describes the Gospel story of Christianity in the following way:

"It is a world of magic and mystery, of deep darkness and flickering starlight. it is a world where terrible things happen and wonderful things too. It is a world where goodness is pitted against evil, love against hate, order against chaos, in a great struggle where often it is hard  to be sure who belongs to which side because appearances are endlessly deceptive. Yet for all its confusion and wildness, it is a world where the battle goes ultimately to the good, who live happily ever after, and where in the long run everybody, good and evil alike, becomes known by his true name... That is the fairy tale of the Gospel with, of course, one crucial difference from all other fairy tales, which is that the claim made for it is that it is true, that it not only happened once upon a time but has kept on happening ever since and is happening still."


No comments:

Post a Comment