Saturday, September 17, 2011

Why you probably haven't seen or talked to me lately...

There is a good chance you are reading this and wondering why it is so hard to find time to Skype, talk on the phone or even meet for a coffee with me. I'll tell you where I've been. I have been in the process of not only rejecting "the American Dream", but reversing the process that began my freshman year of college when I entered Express in the mall and was offered a harmless student credit card... This past April I began a work schedule that would make a very strong, healthy and busy person extremely tired. I declared war on my personal debt and booked my schedule so full of work that I wondered how many months I would be able to endure 7 day work weeks! Last summer I stopped shopping recreationally shopping and got so sick and tired of being broke, discontent and trapped! I was forced to stop spending and begin living life and making decisions that would stop digging myself a bigger hole. At 26 years old I absolutely refused to resort to bankruptcy! I got myself into this mess and I was going to get myself out with the help of God himself. I moved back to New York City, traveled with the Auto Shows and stayed with hospitable friends again until I could pay monthly rent. As the amount of work and opportunity grew I worked every second that was physically possible. I haven't had the normal relaxing summer most enjoy, but it has been liberating. As the paychecks began to pile up and the hard work caught up with me I started making phone calls. I called Mastercard and gave them ALL their $$, then I called Best Buy and told them the balance was in the account and a couple weeks after that I paid off my VISA online! When I got up each morning this summer to go to work or travel to the next city I had a smile on my face! I was one day closer to owning my life again! As I write this I have been able to pay off over $6,000 of personal debt!! I am following the Debt Repayment tips as outlined in Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover". His plan is sound and it works. My new dream is to accept the motto " Have Less. Do More. Be More."

No comments:

Post a Comment